Electrical Design Engineer
Founded in 1975, BR+A Consulting Engineers maintains a total staff of 350 employees located at our main office in Boston and branch offices in New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; McLean, VA (Washington, DC); Coral Gables, FL (Miami); Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; Tampa, FL and Charlotte, NC. BR+A provides state-of-the-art integrated and coordinated mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection consulting engineering, technology systems design, lighting design, and building commissioning services.
BR+A is seeking applicants for an Electrical Design Engineer in our McLean, VA office. The candidate would be strongly motivated, well organized, and show professional initiative. The applicant should be able to take ownership of assignments and perform well both independently and as part of the project team.
- 5 years of experience;
- Experience in designing Healthcare, Commercial, Higher Education, or Laboratory projects;
- Proficient in AutoCAD MEP and Revit;
- Prepare one-line diagrams with limited input from Engineers;
- Respond to RFI’s for the project and accurately review submittals with limited input;
- Solve installation problems with electrical systems, travel to the site to resolve issues;
- Prepare floor plans showing electrical device layouts, circuitry, fixtures, equipment, etc.;
- Review calculations for electrical loads and panel schedules;
- Have a thorough knowledge of NEC and other codes;
- Understand and apply concepts of voltage drop, conductor sizing, harmonics, etc.;
- Edit electrical specifications;
- Layout fire alarm devices on floor plans;
- Select and schedule equipment with limited oversight by senior staff;
- Meet with vendors to determine specification requirements for application;
- Coordinate with other disciplines;
- Apply the risk management procedures daily to minimize our and client’s exposure to problems;
- Understand the work planning and manage the design process to the available hours in the work plan;
- Meet with contractors during the bid phase to review the design;
- Oversee deliverables to and from clients;
- Oversee and encourage coordination between disciplines;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- EIT (Engineer in Training) or Professional Engineering license preferred.
We offer excellent compensation and a competitive benefits package, including Medical/Dental coverage and 401K, to all of our full-time employees.
BR+A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. The candidate must pass a drug test.
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter.