Re-commissioning is intended to be a recurring process during a project’s planning and design phases. When re-commissioning is planned for, better operation and lower energy use are the standard result.
Think of re-commissioning as a regular tune-up for your building, just as you would do for your car. Generally, new cars perform with no incidence of breakdown, just as you would expect of your new building. However, you provide regular, preventative maintenance to your car, like an oil change or an inspection sticker for safety and emissions. Well, you need to do the same for your building. Running some diagnostics and spot checking system performance to determine how well your building is performing, is a proactive, preventative approach to long-term, sustainable operation. Additionally, with energy prices moving ever higher, the need for more fully-optimized operation and control of your building are imperative.
How efficiently and effectively is your building operating? If you're not sure, please give us a call and we’ll help you find out.
Typical Re-commissioning Tasks:
- Perform an initial site walk-through and generate general information about the building.
- Develop a scope of work, with the Owner, based on information from the site walk-through.
- Develop a Re-commissioning Plan based on specific project requirements and findings.
- Review the existing building documentation.
- Perform a detailed on-site assessment of the current operation and maintenance (O&M) practices.
- Develop continuous monitoring and testing plans.
- Perform short-term diagnostic monitoring, using metering and Building Management System (BMS).
- Perform (BMS) historical data and trend logging where appropriate.
- Develop, perform, document and oversee functional test procedures, as needed.
- Calculate and determine energy savings. Assist the Owner with prioritizing the most cost-effective improvements and implementation.
- Develop a Re-commissioning Investigation Report to summarize findings and provide recommendations for implementation of selected measures.
- Prepare the Re-commissioning Implementation Plan.
- Oversee or assist with the implementation of the selected improvements.
- Compile verification data by performing post-implementation monitoring and testing activities to verify proper operation.
- Calculate energy savings based on before and after short-term energy measurements and set a benchmark.
- Submit the Re-commissioning Final Report (a summary of the entire project and O&M guidelines for each measure).
- If required, provide training on the implemented measures and how to ensure improvements persist over time.
- Provide a Re-commissioning Plan for the Owner and staff.